There are two central elementary schools in the Municipality: in Kneževi Vinogradi, with classes held in Croatian and in Zmajevac with classes held in Hungarian, as well as three branch schools in Karanac, Suza and Kotlina.
The History of Education
The history of education is very rich, owing to the fact that in the 16th century, Zmajevac had a school similar to a grammar school that is often compared to the grammar school in Pecs, Hungary. In 1576, the reformist synod regulated the teachers’ activity. Mid-16th century, a school in Karanac existed as well, and in 1616, records say that there was also a Catholic school. The first record of a teacher in Kotlina dates back to 1719, but the school itself had been established earlier. Kamenac had a school before 1817. Around the same time, Suza also had a school and this is confirmed by a list of teachers dating from 1806. In 1843, the first school in Kneževi Vinogradi was established on the initiative of the church inspectorate of Pecs (nearby the Catholic church). The new school building with one classroom was built in 1874 by voluntary work. Later on, other school facilities were built next to churches as well.
Elementary School Kneževi Vinogradi
The school in Kneževi Vinogradi as we know it today was built in 1961. The area of the school comprises Kneževi Vinogradi, Jasenovac, Mirkovac, Sokolovac, Grabovac, Mitrovac, Karanac i Kamenac. The branch school in Karanac was built in 1982. In 2007, the new sports hall was officially opened by the President of the Republic of Croatia, Stjepan Mesić. Classes are held in one shift. There are 44 employees and 350 pupils. The high level of expertise and working conditions ensure above-average achievements.
Elementary School Zmajevac
The early history of the school was penned by Julia Schneider, Hungarian language professor from Zmajevac, based on her research and archival material. The history of the school is closely related to the history of the Reformed Christian Church in the region. The roots date back to the 16th century. The Reformed Christian Church of Baranja was established at the synod held in Kneževi Vinogradi on 16 and 17 August 1576. Education was made possible by making a decision on the young theologians being obligated to teach in schools two to three years before taking their vows. For 300 years, graduate theologians who came from the faculty in Debrecen educated the inhabitants of Baranja. By Ottoman times, there were both a grammar school and college, and after that, only an elementary school with six grades.
The first teacher with teachers college was Apostol János, friend of Jókai, who came in 1865. Together with his son-in-law, Danóczy Balázs, he spent his whole life teaching in Zmajevac. In 1949, the school in Zmajevac was the only high school in Croatia with classes in Hungarian. It was a lower grammar school with eight grades and located in the center of the settlement. Students came from Kopačevo, Lug, Karanac, Suza, Kneževi Vinogradi, Kotlina, Batina and other workers housing settlements, the so-called wolds. From 1952, the school became an elementary school with eight grades. The present school building was built in 1973.
Elementary School Suza
Trg Ač Gedeona 9, 31308 Suza