According to the 2011 Census, Suza has a population of 567 in 6 streets (Maršal Tito St., Petefi Šandor St., Košut Lajoš St., Željeznička St., Ač Gedeon Sq., 1. maj St.). In spite of the decline in population, Suza is becoming known more and more so for tourism, the cuisine fo the restaurants Piroš čizma and Kovač čarda as well as the rich variety of quality wine of family wineries Kolar, Kováts and others. The number of rooms for accommodating visitors is increasing substantially. The branch of the Elementary School Zmajevac (grades 1-4) holds classes in Hungarian and Croatian. The daycare center is a branch of the Daycare Center “Zeko” and the language spoken is Hungarian. Suza is known for its cultural activity and its associations: the Folklore Society “Čardaš” and the Folklore Society ” Jókai Mór”. A few years ago, starting the Football Club “Columbus” Suza renewed the tradition of doing sports.
The village of Suza has had a long and eventful history. It was inhabited during reign of kings Arpad’s house. According to the first record which goes back to 1252, the King Bela IV had given the territory to the county prefect Nana. The village was named Chuza. Croatian name for the village has only similar pronunciation with the Hungarian, but the meaning is different. In the 15th century the village was owned by an estate from Siklos, while in the 16th century it belonged to Peter Perenyi.
During the Turkish Empire, the village had to pay taxes to the sanjak of Mohacs (an Ottoman administrative unit). From 1698 to 1734 the village was owned by the Prince Eugene of Savoy. In 1780 the village was given as a present to Christine, Empress Maria Theresa’s daughter, and subsequently to her marriage, it was owned by the Habsburg dynasty.
The first village seal dates back to 1772 with the picture of the plough and bird having a big bunch of grapes in its beak. This symbol refers to the fact that the villagers used to cultivate their land producing grapes and wine, same as today.
According to the first census in 1784 there were 681 inhabitants in the village.
During the revolution in 1848/49 after the abolition of servitude the villagers erected the obelisk to Kossuth. It was demolished in 1920, after the Versailles Peace Treaty was signed since the borders were rearranged. However, Kossuth’s relief was preserved and today it is exhibited in the local community centre.